13
Tue, Nov

Taliban Attack at Bagram Won't Change U.S Will: Pentagon

Afghanistan
Typography

In reaction to the Taliban attack at Bagram Airbase outside Kabul early Saturday, the Pentagon said that such attacks will not change the United States' commitment to Afghanistan.

In a statement released by the United States Defense Ministry, ‎Secretary of Defense, Ash Carter, said that the Pentagon will continue its mission in Afghanistan and added that the United States is committed to helping ensure security and a better future in Afghanistan and that they will not step back. Bagram base is the largest U.S base in the country. Abdul Shokor Qoudosi, Bagram district governor, confirmed the incident and said a suicide bomber entered the airbase and then detonated his suicide vest among the soldiers.‎ Resolute Support confirmed there had been an incident. They said in a statement: "We can confirm that there was an explosion at Bagram Airfield this morning just after 5:30am. There have been casualties." The Taliban claimed responsibility for the explosion .In a later statement, Resolute Support said: "To the family and friends of those who lost their lives today, we share your loss and our thoughts are with you. We offer you our deepest condolences." "For the family and friends of those wounded in today's attack, let me assure you they are receiving the best care possible," Said General John W. Nicholson, U.S Army, Commander of Resolute Support. He went on to say: "To those who target Coalition forces, ANDSF and Afghan civilians, Resolute Support and USFOR-A will continue to pursue our train, advise and assist mission to help our partners create a better Afghanistan."