Welcoming the formal end of NATO’s combat mission, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) on Tuesday said the Afghan forces were capable enough to independently secure the country.
The US and NATO formally ended their 13-year-old war in Afghanistan at a ceremony at NATO headquarters in Kabul on Sunday.The
troops will be replaced by a small 12,800 contingent to train and assist Afghan forces by the end of this month, when Afghan forces will be responsible for nationwide security.Gen
. Mohammad Habib Hesari, education and training commander at the MoD, said there were minor challenges to replace international troops in some parts of the country and the challenges had been overcome.Add
ressing a graduation ceremony for 1,200 ANA troops at the Kabul Military Training Centre (KMTC) here, Gen. Hesari said the Afghan army was equipped enough to frustrate enemy designs and defend the country.He
said the Afghan forces had public support that gave them an upper hand over the enemy. “We have come out successful from the past tests and this time also victory will be ours.”Ami
nullah Patiani, the KMTC commander, said international mentors training Afghan forces had been replaced by Afghan trainers three years ago.He
said the newly-graduated soldiers, who underwent a three-month training, would be deployed to different parts of the country.Wah
idullah, one of the graduates, said he was ready to perform duty in any province. “My only aim to join the army is to serve the country and defend it from the enemies,” he said.