Sun, Jun

Local Artists Show Their Work in Mazar-e-Sharif

Culture
Typography

A painting and calligraphy exhibition was launched in Mazar-e-Sharif in Balkh province on Tuesday in a bid to encourage the youth to get involved in art.

More than 150 works by Afghan artists went on show as part of the week-long exhibition.
This is the first time such work is being exhibited in Mazar-e-Sharif and the theme is harmony, a peaceful life, tolerance and friendship. It is a joint initiative by the association of calligraphers, the local community center and Balkh's branch of Mediothek, a German NGO that promotes cultural and heritage values in Afghanistan.

A large number of young people who visited the exhibition on its first day welcomed the initiative and said such exhibitions are beneficial in encouraging artists in the country.

"When I am looking at these paintings each one of them gives me a different feeling. It gives me feeling of love and a feeling of patriotism," said Bahar a university student.

"With such exhibitions we are able to show our art," said Shabnam another university student.

In addition, a number or Balkh artists also welcomed the initiative and said that events of this nature help them meet and network with other artists and see different types of work.

Hafiz Mohammadi, from Mazar-e-Sharif, who has been an artist for seven years said: "Today I viewed a large number of paintings and as a painter I can compare the different styles on show and see work by Sharar [a teacher] who brought his art from abroad."