Sat, Aug

23 Nurses to deliver healthcare services to the community

Education
Typography

Midwives graduation

In a graduation ceremony at nursing school in eastern Laghman province, 23 female students received degrees for successfully completing the two years community health nursing education. The education was funded by the Swedish International Corporation Agency (SIDA) and it was a joint venture of SCA and Norwegian Afghanistan Committee (NAC).

The Community Health Nursing Education program for females was introduced in the health system of the Ministry of Public Health in 2011, in order to address Afghanistan’s lack of nurses as well as the overall shortage of female health workers, particularly in rural areas. The program is similar to the community midwifery-training program, which has played a vital role in increasing the reproductive health services in the country.The goal of the program is to graduate female health workers who are primary and community health-oriented rather than disease‐oriented, and who are able to provide care to well and sick individuals, families and communities. Upon graduation the nurses will be employed in a health facility close or near to the remote district where they are from.Suraya Jan and Naheed Hamdard are among the graduates. Suraya belongs from Alingar district. She says that she decided to enter the nursing education program as there is no female health worker in her district to provide healthcare services.“Now I am a trained and skilled nurse. I can provide healthcare services that female in my area deserve,” Miss Suraya says. She is thankful of SCA and NAC for the training.Naheed Hamdard is happy for graduating the nursing education program. She says “My father is a doctor and my elder sister is a medical student.”“I had a dream to serve my community. Today my dream come true,” she added.Miss Naheed says that there is only one midwife in her home district Alishang. Every day female patients are visiting the health clinic but every one of them can’t get treatment.Engineer Mohammad Gul, a father of newly graduated nurse also addressed the ceremony. He said “Today I am happy and proud of my daughter. She turned a role model for other females in the province.”The graduated nurses received degrees in a ceremony. The graduation ceremony was attended by Haji Jamiatullah Hamidy, deputy provincial governor, Dr. Abdul Latif Qayumi, director of public health department, Dr. Homayoun Safi, Head of the SCA Health Programme, Terje Magnusson Watterdal Country Director of NAC and others.