Sat, Aug

Community midwifery education inaugurated in Laghman

Education
Typography

SCAmidwife has started a two years community midwifery education program in eastern Laghman province. 25 females have enrolled in the midwifery education which is funded by the Swedish International Corporation Agency (SIDA) through SCA.

The Norwegian Afghanistan Committee is implementing the project as a joint venture with SCA.Miss Arzoo, a resident of Qarghay district is also enrolled in the midwifery training. She is graduated of high school. “We are six brothers and sisters. My elder sister is a midwife, she is serving the community and our family is proud of her.” she said.The maternal mortality rate is high in our area. Being a midwife, I can play my effective rule in decreasing this rate, Miss Arzoo added.SCA is also running the midwifery education program in Maidan Wardak and Samangan provinces. The community midwifery training program is playing a vital role in increasing utilization of the reproductive health services in the provinces.Community midwifery education is a standardized education for the midwives and selection criteria includes minimum of 10 years of school education and preferably mothers. Those who receive training are chosen by the community and willing to relocate for training. Upon completion of training they return to work in the community for at least five to six years following completion of training.